IRP Renewal Commercial and Farm Trucks
IRP Summary for Registration Year 2018
- Current IRP registrations and credentials expire March 31, 2017. Drivers of vehicles with expired registrations are subject to arrest after March 31, 2017. Power units renewed will be issued a distinctive 8.5 X 11 cab card showing the 2018 registration year. Apportioned trailer registration does not require a renewal and remains current as long as the vehicle remains in service in the same ownership. If ownership changes, it should be deleted from the firm by filing the proper application.
- Firms with less than 250 units and with minimal changes can renew online.
- Estimated distances are no longer allowed for renewal applications. All IRP jurisdictions will appear on your registration regardless of distance reporting or estimation. ALL actual distance accrued in any jurisdiction must be reported and registration fees will be calculated thereon. The option of accruing distance and not apportioning for a jurisdiction has been eliminated.
- The distance reporting period for the 2018 registration year is July 1, 2015, through June 30, 2016. Any distance accrued during this period MUST be reported for the renewal. No exceptions.
- The Heavy Vehicle Use Tax, Form 2290, Schedule 1, for the 2016-2017 tax period must be submitted for all vehicles registered at 55,000 pounds or more. Not submitting properly will cause delays in processing any payment. Note the "HV" or "HI" on vehicle abstracts as a reminder of this requirement.
- Vehicle abstracts showing an "I" or "HI" next to power wreckers being renewed must submit proof of insurance as noted in the International Registration Plan Instruction Manual. Insured period must cover the entire duration of the registration year or be "continuous until cancelled". Registration cannot be issued without proper insurance proof for power wreckers.
- If a vehicle had a Special Hauling Vehicle Permit (SHV) in 2017, make sure the appropriate box is checked to purchase for 2018. Fees are $125 per vehicle requiring the permit. The IRP cab card will show "SHV FEE PAID" in the SHV field verifying purchase of the SHV Permit upon receipt of proper fees. If purchased separately at a Secretary of State facility, only a validated identification card will be issued and should be attached to and carried with the Apportioned Identification Card (cab card).
- Applicants who are unable to renew using the web renewal process and chose to renew in person MUST make an appointment. Appointments are scheduled beginning 8:30 a.m. until noon, Monday through Friday, excluding state holidays. To make an appointment, call 217-785-1800, select option #2. Schedule early as times fill up quickly.
- To cancel any firm, fleet, or individual vehicles, please submit a Request for Cancellation form. The completed form should be returned as instructed.
- Acceptable forms of payment are listed in the instructions on the renewal letter. Credit/debit card payments are subject to a 2.35 percent bank-processing fee. Credentials processed by credit/debit Card payments phoned into this office will not be held for pick-up by the applicant. Please allow 72 hours for payment processing of credentials. To pick up credentials paid by credit/debit card, the payment must be in person. Credentials will not be faxed.
- Special mailing instructions or use of overnight services must be pre-paid by the registrant and pre-approved by our office. We cannot return documents or credentials using the United States Postal Service Express Mail Service or FedEx Ground Services due to potential assessment of additional fees for the service.
- Federal guidelines require disclosure of the USDOT Number associated with all registrations. The USDOT Number and TIN (Taxpayer Identification Number) of the Carrier responsible for the safety of each vehicle must be shown. This information can be for an entire fleet or for individual vehicles, whatever the circumstances dictate. Please make sure to answer whether or not the USDOT Number may change in the next twelve months. Incorrect or missing information will delay the processing of the renewal.
- Please submit payments by mail before March 1, 2017 to insure ample processing time. In person payments must be made before March 17, 2017. Payments made after that date may be dropped off and credentials returned by mail. Process ALL payments early to avoid potential enforcement actions! Payments must be accompanied by 2 copies of your invoice, 1 copy of the vehicle list (abstract) and proof of HVUT or Insurance (or both, if required).
- For more information, please consult the International Registration Plan Instruction Manual.
This box must be checked to proceed
This Web site is provided for authorized companies to expedite the processing of their IRP credentials. Unauthorized access or use is prohibited. Accuracy is the responsibility of the person entering the required information into this system. Failure to adequately ensure that proper information is provided is not the responsibility of the Office of the Secretary of State of Illinois, the Vehicle Services Department, the Commercial and Farm Truck Division or the IRP Section. All invoices generated are based upon information herein provided by you. System safeguards are in place to prevent improper or unacceptable information.