ILLINOIS STATE LIBRARY
Workplace Skills Enhancement Grant Program
Grant projects provide instruction at the workplace to improve the basic reading, writing, math skills or English language proficiency of employees. Services are provided through a partnership between one business and an adult educational agency.
- Increased skills in reading, writing, math and/or English language.
- Increased ability of employees to maintain employment and secure promotion.
- Improved safety and productivity at Illinois businesses.
Application and Forms
All Literacy grant applications are due March 15.
- Application Due March 15
- Financial Management Guidelines and Instructions (Adult Literacy Program Administrative Manual, p. 20)
- Grant Reviewer’s Scoring Rubric
- Reporting Forms
- Instructions for Completing Fillable PDF Grant Forms
Participating agencies (those specifically named as either the educational partner agency or the business partner of the Workplace Skills Enhancement application and who are not the submitting agency) must provide a letter of support detailing coordination, and services to the project and include the signature of the organization’s representative. The costs donated by the business partner will be reflected in the Business Match column of the budget.
If the submitting agency is a not for profit entity, attach a copy of the Internal Revenue Service Tax Ruling on Determination Letter.
The Workplace Skills Enhancement grant information webinar is recommended for all Secretary of State funded Workplace Skills Enhancement grantees or any agency interested in applying for the program.
- Workplace Skills Enhancement Grant Information Webinar Recorded January 15, 2015
Eligibility and Program Requirements
Applicant Eligibility Requirements
- Eligible applicants include adult educational agencies and Illinois businesses.
- Services must be provided by a partnership between and educational agency and one business.
- For-profit educational entities are ineligible to apply.
Participant Eligibility Requirements
- Employees of the participating business partner who are 17 years of age or older and not enrolled in school.
- Participants must function below the 9th grade level or student performance level 7 in English proficiency.
- Educational skills assessment.
- Curriculum development.
- Instruction in Adult Basic Education (ABE) and/or English as a Second Language (ESL) at the workplace.
- GED instruction is not allowed.
Public funds awarded under this grant range up to $15,000 and must be matched by the business partner with funds at least equal to the amount of public funds awarded. Total awards cannot exceed $180,000 per agency.
- Personnel (including instructor’s wages)
- Equipment (allowed only in the business match)
- Library and instructional materials (print and non-print)
- Supplies, postage and printing
- Administrative and facilities costs not to exceed 10% of total grant request
Costs not allowed
- Equipment paid with grant funds
- Student Transportation
- Out-of-state travel
- Promotional items
- Background checks
For more information about Workplace Skills Enhancement grants, please call 217-785-6921 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.