Story Kits Illinois State Library
Story kits are packaged, participatory program activity for parents and children to do together and are based on children’s literature and focused on reading strategies. Each story kit provides multiple copies of one children’s book and most of the needed materials to implement a facilitated, literature based literacy activity for the family groups. Story kits also contain a Facilitator’s Guide that describes how to plan for and implement the family activity step-by-step.
How to Borrow a Story Kit
- Contact your local library. If you are not a librarian, you must have a librarian's name, the name and address of the library and permission to ship the Story Kit to that library.
- Decide which Story Kit title you would like to borrow; have a second choice in mind in case your first choice is not available. Story Kits are loaned out one at a time for a period of a month.
- Select a date on which to implement the chosen Story Kit. Have alternative dates in mind in order to ensure that your chosen kit is available.
- Call the Literacy Office at 217−785−6922 or 800−665−5576, ext. 3, to request the Story Kit and make arrangements to have it shipped through the Illinois Library Delivery Service (ILDS) to the library. Delivery may take up to two weeks. Please be advised that some bins are heavy and you may need a wheeled carrier to transport it.
- Ship the Story Kit back to the Literacy Office within one month. Repack it as you found it. If materials or books are missing, insert a note into the Story Kit telling exactly what is missing.