ILLINOIS STATE LIBRARY
Annual Library Certification Timeline
January 2 through March 31
All current library system members must certify annually through the Illinois State Library’s certification web portal. Certification must be completed by each library’s 'main' agency and agencies must use the following to access their information.
- The login is the agency's L2 control number (a 5 digit number).
- The administrative branch number is a 2 digit number appropriate for the type of library: Administrative branch numbers are 00 for academic**, public, private school, and special libraries. Public school administrative branch numbers are 99.
**Some academic institutions have multiple administrative branch numbers with an ending of '00' and all branches with this ending number must certify individually.
April 1 through June 30
Those libraries that certify during the January 2 through March 31 time period will have their certification reviewed by their respective library System Board of Directors (IHLS or RAILS). Those libraries that certified but don't meet membership criteria or those libraries that don't certify will be recommended for suspension. The resulting actions taken by System Boards, which will occur in April, will then be approved by the Illinois State Library as the final step in this process.
Beginning July 1
Only approved certified libraries will be recognized as library system members, remaining eligible for Illinois State Library grants, system membership, and system services. Certified libraries will also need to update, as necessary, their contact information when applying for a specific Illinois State Library-supported grant program (per capita grants, Live and Learn Construction Grants, and others).
Throughout the year
New member libraries or suspended libraries that wish to rejoin the regional library system and can meet membership criteria can be approved as new system members throughout the year. The member application process includes:
- Completion of a library system membership application;
- Review of the application by library system staff;
- Site visit by library system staff;
- Approval by System Board; and
- Final approval by the Illinois State Library.
Additional information on the library system membership application process: