School District Library Grant Program Illinois State Library
The School District Library Grant Program is designed to help provide more library books and materials for the students of public schools in Illinois. The state legislature has authorized up to a $.75 per pupil expenditure for qualifying schools. The grant award is based on funds appropriated by the General Assembly and the official enrollment as of the previous September 30th of a school district.
Grant applications are due October 15. To qualify, school districts must submit:
- An application that meets the requirements in 23 Ill. Adm. Code 3035.120 and 23 Ill. Adm. Code 3035.135.
- The Expenditure Report as described in the Expenditure Report Form section.
- Paper copies of the application and the expenditure report form will not be accepted. Email completed applications to Schoolemail@example.com.
Retain an electronic copy of the application for the school district library's files, which includes the email date/time stamp to prove timely submission. The State Library is not responsible for, nor obligated to fund, a grant application that does not meet the requirements.
If you do not know your school district's control number, you may obtain it from the L2 website. Please note that all School District headquarters should use the number 99 for their branch number.
Application and Instructions
- FY2018 Application Available soon.
- Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) Fall Enrollment Counts
- Instructions for Completing Fillable PDF Grant Forms
- Library Data Entry Guidelines
*Please verify your ISBE District Number and School Number in the School Summary Excel spreadsheet annually.
FY2016 grant funds:
- Awards were announced in December 2015.
- Funds must be obligated from July 1, 2015–June 30, 2017 and disbursed by August 15, 2017.
- The Expenditure Report documents use of the FY2016 grant award, and must be submitted with the FY2018 School District Library Grant Program Grant application.
FY2017 grant funds:
- Awards were announced in February 2017.
- Funds must be obligated from July 1, 2016–June 30, 2018.
- The Expenditure Report documents use of the FY2017 award, and must be submitted with the FY2019 School District Library Grant Program Grant Application.
FY2018 grant funds:
- Funds must be obligated from July 1, 2017–June 30, 2019.
- The Expenditure Report documents use of the FY2018 award, and must be submitted with the FY2020 School District Library Grant Program Grant Application.
Program ImpactGrant Recipients
- FY2015 School District Library Grant Program Awards
- FY2014 School District Library Grant Program Awards
For more information on the School District Library Grant Program, please call 217-524-8836.