ILLINOIS STATE LIBRARY
Illinois Library Statutes and Administrative Rules
This page provides links to major laws and administrative rules relevant to the Illinois State Library and libraries in Illinois. The links to the text of the laws and rules provided on this website are intended for the convenience of interested persons. The information contained herein is updated on a regular basis but should not be considered a substitute for the appropriate official documents or the advice of legal counsel. The official version of the administrative rules are maintained and are available from the Administrative Code Division, Index Department of the Illinois Secretary of State's office.
The Illinois Compiled Statutes (ILCS) is a compilation of Public Acts, organized by Chapter and Act number under nine topical categories. Published biannually, ILCS is available in print and electronic formats at many libraries. Illinois Library Laws & Rules, published by the Illinois Library Association (ILA), is also an invaluable resource for those crafting library administrative policy, including librarians, trustees and governmental officials. This essential compilation includes all laws and rules affecting library service in Illinois.
Please note that "the provisions provided on the Illinois General Assembly's ILCS website have not been edited for publication, and are not in any sense the "official" text of the Illinois Compiled Statutes as enacted into law." Updating the ILCS database is an ongoing process. Recent laws may not yet be included in the ILCS database, but may be found as Public Acts soon after they become law. Read Disclaimer.
- Chicago Public Library Act [75 ILCS 20]
- Illinois Library System Act [75 ILCS 10]
- Illinois Local Library Act [75 ILCS 5]
- Illinois State Library Act [15 ILCS 320]
- Illinois State Library Foundation Act [15 ILCS 321]
- Illinois Literacy Act [15 ILCS 322]
- Libraries in Parks Act [75 ILCS 65]
- Library Incorporation Act [75 ILCS 60]
- Library Property Sale Act [75 ILCS 55]
- Library Records Confidentiality Act [75 ILCS 70]
- Public Library District Act [75 ILCS 16]
- Township Library Bond Act [75 ILCS 35]
- Township Library Bond Validation (1963) Act [75 ILCS 25]
- Township Library Bond Validation (1969) Act [75 ILCS 30]
- Village Library Act [75 ILCS 40]
- Village Library and Gymnasium Tax Act [75 ILCS 50]
- Village Library Conversion Act [75 ILCS 45]
New Library System Administrative Rules
The new rules for the Illinois Library System Act [23 Ill. Adm. Code 3030] were published April 3, 2015 in the Illinois Register [39 Ill. Reg. 5140, effective March 20, 2015]. With the adoption of new rules, the old rules were repealed [39 Ill. Reg. 5137]. Other newly adopted amendments cover the Illinois State Library, Library Operations Division [39 Ill. Reg. 5119]; Illinois State Library Grant Programs [39 Ill. Reg. 5218]; and Public Library Non-Resident Services [39 Ill. Reg. 5253].
Administrative Rules [23 Ill. Adm. Code]
- Part 3010 Illinois State Library, Library Services Division
- Part 3020 Illinois State Library, Acquisitions Division, Illinois Documents Section
- Part 3030 The Illinois Library System Act
- Part 3035 Illinois State Library Grant Programs
- Part 3050 Public Library Non-Resident Services