ILLINOIS STATE LIBRARY
Delivery Advisory Committee
The Delivery Advisory Committee, a subcommittee of the Illinois State Library Advisory Committee (ISLAC), is charged with crafting a single, seamless statewide delivery service model. The Committee will develop a series of recommendations to achieve uniform statewide delivery service, along with an implementation timeline, which will be presented to ISLAC, upon completion. Steps necessary in order to accomplish the recommendations should be described.
Factors that the Delivery Advisory Committee should consider include:
- Equalizing delivery services on a fair and equitable basis (i.e., developing a frequency of delivery standard; identifying acceptable alternatives to vehicular delivery for libraries with minimal delivery volume; investigating a "community concept" delivery model; examining delivery practices in regard to deliveries at multiple locations ["branches" and "school attendance centers"] within a single administrative agency; and exploring the feasibility of uniform holiday schedules).
- Gathering and clearly defining statistics, applying standardized counts and reporting methodologies related to items and/or containers.
- Sorting (i.e., identifying sorting practices at the local library, delivery hubs, as well as the Illinois Library Delivery Service [ILDS] libraries; and examining opportunities for standardization).
- Packaging and labeling (i.e., developing uniform practices for protecting materials in transit, as well as, labeling of both items/materials and delivery "containers").
- Training and communications.
- Integrating statewide technology/software solutions whenever feasible and possible.
- Ensuring compliance with federal postal regulations.
- Standardizing performance expectations for libraries, library systems, and ILDS.
Delivery Committee Documents and Resources
The Committee will utilize these resources to help guide their work and decision making:
- Delivery Administrative Rules [23 Ill. Adm. Code 3030.50 (i)].
- Delivery Advisory Committee Ground Rules
- Delivery Advisory Committee Meeting Archives
- Letter to the Delivery Advisory Committee May 22, 2013
- Map of the Illinois Library Delivery System
- Rules for Public Comments
- Statewide Delivery Service for Illinois Libraries