Driver's License/State ID Card Driver Services

Driver's License Application

To obtain an Illinois Driver's License you must:

Temporary Driver's License/Commercial Driver's License/State ID Card/Commercial Learner's Permit

Beginning in July 2016, you will no longer be issued a new permanent driver's license, commercial driver's license (CDL), state identification card or Commercial Learner's permit (CLP) at the end of the application process for any card type: original (initial or renewal), duplicate, or corrected. Instead you will leave the facility with a temporary secure paper document called a Temporary Driver's License (DL/CDL), Temporary State Identification (ID) Card or Temporary CLP. This document will:

You will only be permitted to hold one (1) of these types of temporary credentials (DL/CDL, State ID or CLP) at a time. You may apply for an additional temporary credential for a different type, after you have received your permanent document for the first item.

For purpose of air travel, the facility employee will return your old driver's license card to you. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) states they will accept the temporary driver's license document in conjunction with the expired driver's license to board an aircraft until you receive the permanent card in the mail. After the necessary identification checks have been conducted to ensure your identity, a secure hard card permanent DL/CDL, state ID card or CLP will be printed and sent via U.S. mail within 15 business days to your address on file. It is imperative that you ensure the address provided at the facility is correct.

If you lose your temporary DL/CDL, state ID or CLP credential, you may obtain a duplicate temporary credential for the same item for the appropriate fee.

If you do not receive your new permanent DL/CDL, state ID card or CLP after 15 business days of obtaining your temporary credential, you may check the DL/State ID/CLP Card Status or you may call 217-782-7044.

Driver's License Renewal

The Secretary of State's office mails a renewal letter to driver's license holders 60 to 90 days prior to the expiration of your license. The letter is mailed to the address our office has on file for the driving record. The letter contains the information needed to renew your license. Testing requirements and fees vary depending on the type of license being renewed.

Applicants will leave the facility with a temporary, secure paper driver's license or State ID, which is valid for 45 days and will serve as their DL/state ID for driving purposes and proof of identification. The temporary, secure paper driver's license will contain a photo and the basic information that appears on the permanent driver's license or State ID. In addition, the facility employee will return the old DL/State ID back to the applicant.

For purposes of air travel, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) states that it will accept the temporary, secure paper driver's license or State ID in conjunction with the old DL/state ID to board an aircraft until the permanent card arrives in the mail. Meanwhile, the applicant's information will be sent to a centralized, secure facility in Illinois. After fraud checks have been conducted to ensure the applicant's identity, a higher quality, more secure DL/state ID will be printed and sent via U.S. mail within 15 business days to the applicant's address.

It is imperative that applicants ensure their address is updated with the Secretary of State's office in order to receive the permanent driver's license or state ID. By law, address changes must be reported within 10 days. Illinoisans can update their address online. If an applicant does not receive their new permanent driver's license or state ID after 15 business days of visiting a facility, they can check the status online or call 217-782-7044.

Out-of-State Driver's License Renewal

Members of the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty outside Illinois, as well as their spouses and children, may drive with an expired license for up to 120 days after their return to the state. A Military Deferral Certificate(s) must be carried with your expired Illinois driver's license. Certificates are available at no charge and may be mailed to your out-of-state address. To request a Military Deferral Certificate, mail a copy of your current Illinois driver's license, a copy of the front and back of your Military ID Card and your out-of-state address to:
Secretary of State
License and Medical Review Unit
2701 S. Dirksen Pkwy.
Springfield, IL 62723.

For more information, please call 217-782-2720.

Duplicate/Corrected Driver's License

Gender Change

This office does not require a court order to prove a change of gender. However, such a court order shall be considered as best evidence to process the gender change. A customer who requests a change in file information to reflect a gender change must provide at least one of the following:

Lost/Found/Stolen Driver's License/State ID Card

Motorcycle License

Operation of a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle in the State of Illinois requires a valid license with the proper classification.

For more information, please review the Motorcycle Operator Manual and the Illinois Rules of the Road.

Social Security Online Verification

The Secretary of State's office verifies Social Security numbers with the Social Security Administration prior to issuance or renewal of a driver's license or state ID card to verify name, date of birth and Social Security number. If records cannot be verified, the driver's license or state ID card will not be issued.

State ID Card

Illinois-issued ID cards can help Illinois residents prove identity when banking, traveling, or in other situations. More information about state ID cards is available in the Illinois Rules of the Road.

Restricted Local Drivers License

A Restricted Local License may be issued to qualified drivers who reside in areas with populations of 3,500 or less and who desire to drive only within certain areas, such as to the grocery store, bank or post office. To obtain a Restricted Local License, you must:

Facility personnel will complete a route form and forward it along with the application to the Special License Unit for approval. Upon approval of the application and route form, a facility representative will contact the applicant to make arrangements for the drive exam, which will be administered over the route(s) they wish to travel. Upon successful completion of the drive exam, the test results will be forwarded to the Special License Unit. The applicant will receive his or her Restricted Local License by mail.

State ID for the Homeless

A person qualifies for the no-fee identification card, if he or she is considered homeless as defined by the federal McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, 42 U.S.C. 11302 or 42 U.S.C. 11434a(2). This card is issued free of charge with the proper documentation to show proof of legal name, date of birth, social security number, and signature. The individual must also bring a completed Homeless Status Certification.

Temporary Visitor Driver's License

The Secretary of State's office issues a Temporary Visitor Driver's License (TVDL) for non-citizens of the United States who have been granted temporary, legal entry into this country and are temporarily residing in the State of Illinois and ineligible for a Social Security number. To be eligible for a TVDL, a foreign national must:

Veteran Designation

To obtain a "Veteran" designation on your Driver's License or State ID card you must:

To find your nearest Illinois Dept. of Veterans' Affairs office or to request a replacement DD-214 or Form 13038, please call 1-800-437-9824 or visit:

Deceased Notification

Upon the death of a card holder, please submit a copy of the certified death certificate along with the Driver's License and/or Identification Card (if available) to:
Secretary of State
Central Services Section
2701 S. Dirksen Pkwy.
Springfield, IL 62723

If you are a relative of the decedent and would like to keep the driver's license, please visit the attending coroner or nearest Secretary of State facility and fill out the Invalidation of a Driver's License or Permit Form. This form is in compliance with Chapter 625, paragraph 5/6-301.3 of the Illinois Compiled Statues. If you have any questions please contact Central Services at 217-785-1424.