School Bus Endorsement (S)
Any CDL holder who will or already drives a yellow school bus to transport pre-primary, primary or secondary school students from home to school, from school to home, or to and from school-sponsored events must obtain a School Bus Endorsement (S). To apply for a School Bus Endorsement, you must:
- Be age 21 or older.
- Possess a valid and properly classified driver's license issued by the Secretary of State.
- Successfully pass a written Passenger Endorsement (P) and a written School Bus Endorsement (S) exam administered by the Secretary of State.
- Successfully pass a skills/drive test in a yellow school bus of the proper class for which the driver will be using the Passenger and School Bus Endorsements.
- Affirm under penalty of perjury that you have not made a false statement or knowingly concealed a material fact in any application for a School Bus Endorsement.
- Not have been repeatedly involved as a driver in motor vehicle accidents or repeatedly convicted of offenses that indicate disrespect for traffic laws.
The CDL School Bus Endorsement (S) is a federal CDL endorsement and is not the same as the State of Illinois School Bus Permit (SBP) program.
Any driver who transports school children 12th grade or below on behalf of a school or school bus company to/from school or for any curriculum based activities must have an SBP. This SBP requirement is mandatory regardless of the size of the vehicle.
Any driver transporting Illinois school children in a yellow school bus, requiring a CDL, will be required to have the Passenger endorsement, the School Bus endorsement and the proper class School Bus Permit (SBP).