COURT OF CLAIMS
Filing a Claim
The Court of Claims is the venue for all claims filed against the State of Illinois.
- Complete the appropriate complaint form in its entirety; include your Social Security number or your Federal Employee Identification Number.
- If you are represented by an attorney, complete the appropriate section of the complaint form so that all correspondence may be directed to the attorney's office. An attorney is specifically not required to file a lapsed appropriation claim. Any other claim may be filed with or without an attorney.
- Sign appropriate lines of the complaint form. Obtain notary witness of signature where required.
- Send the form and the appropriate filing fee in the form of a personal check or money order payable to Illinois Court of Claims and mail to:
Delores J. Martin
Director and Deputy Clerk
Illinois Court of Claims
630 S. College St.
Springfield, IL 62756
Types of Claims
- Line Of Duty Compensation Act — Beneficiaries of individuals who die while on active duty as policemen, firemen, or members of the Armed Services may file for benefits.
- Illinois National Guardsman’s And Navy Militiamen’s Compensation Act — Beneficiaries of individual who died while in active services in the Illinois National Guard of Illinois Naval Militia may file for benefits.
- Crime Victim Compensation Act — Any person who is an innocent victim of a violent crime in Illinois may file for reimbursement of monetary loss.
- Lapsed Appropriation — All claims resulting from the State failing to pay for goods and services in the correct fiscal year. As long as the total amount claimed is against the same agency within the same fiscal year (the State of Illinois fiscal year runs from July 1-June 30), you may file multiple invoices or other charges on the same claim form.
- Lost Warrant — Any request to replace a warrant (check) issued by the State of Illinois over five years ago and never cashed must be filed in the Court of Claims.
- Property Damage — Any person who has damage to property as a result of any action by the State of Illinois may file using this form. Note: a filing fee applies to this type of action.
- Medical Vendors— Any provider of medical services to a large number of individuals may claim for services owed by the State. Note: a filing fee applies to this type of action.
- Reimbursement — This for is ONLY for those individuals attempting to recover monies from the Secretary of State for reimbursement of vehicle or driver’s services charges.
- For other types of claims, please see the Rules and Statutes.
Rules and Statutes
- Complaint-required provisions,statutory filing deadlines and information regarding the filing of any subsequent documents are included in the Rules and Statutes.
For more information about filing a claim, please call 217-782-7101(Springfield) or 312-814-5010(Chicago), Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.