ILLINOIS STATE ARCHIVES
200 S. 9th St.
Springfield, IL 62701
217-753-6700 — County Clerk
217-753-6674 — Circuit Clerk
217-535-3150 — Recorder
University of Illinois at Springfield
One University Plaza, MS BRK 140
Springfield IL 62703-5407
- January 30, 1821 (Laws, 1821, p. 45)
Origin of the name of the county
- Named after the Sangamon River which flows through the county which derived its name from the Pottawatomie Indian word Sain-guee-mon or Sangamon (pronounced sang gä mun) meaning literally "where there is plenty to eat" or what we would call the "land of milk and honey."
Present area, or parts of it, formerly included in
- 1817–1821 — Bond
- 1812–1821 — Madison
- 1790–1812 — St. Clair
- 1790–1801 — Knox, Northwest Territory
- 1821–1825 — Springfield (Temporary designation.)
- 1825–present — Springfield (Permanent designation.)
History of county governing board
- 1821–1849 — County Commissioners’ Court
- 1849–1861 — County Court
- 1861–present — County Board of Supervisors
- Adopted — November 6, 1860
- Buffalo Hart
- Capital — Formed from Springfield on July 1, 1877; on February 17, 1892, the limits of Capital Township were made co-extensive with the limits of the City of Springfield.
- Chatham — Name changed from Campbell on September 2, 1863.
- Clear Lake
- Cotton Hill
- Divernon — Formed from Pawnee (date unknown, before 1921.)
- Fancy Creek — Name changed from Power on September 11, 1861.
- Island Grove
- Lanesville — Formed from Illiopolis (date unknown, before 1921.)
- Maxwell — Formed from Loami (date unknown, before 1921.)
- New Berlin — Formed from Island Grove on March 3, 1869.
- Salisbury — Name changed from Sackett on September 9, 1867.
- Federal Township Plats of Illinois
- Illinois Public Domain Land Tract Sales Database
- Illinois Statewide Death Index, 1916–1950
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index
- Local Governmental Records Database
- Name Index to Illinois Local Governments
- Sangamon County Guardian's Case Files Index (1825–1901)
- Sangamon County Probate Case Files Index (1821–1906)